Thursday, October 12, 2006

Bad News

Very bad news.

All classes at the Runoffs had a fourth qualifying session today. SCCA has a really cool internetwebby connection thing that allows you to watch the timing and scoring results in almost real time (updated every 10 seconds) while the cars are on the track.

I made the mistake of watching the Formula Ford session today.

Most cars got about 6 laps, but I noticed that after Lynn's second lap, there was nothing from her for the rest of the session. I was a little concerned, so I left a message on her cell phone to ask what was up. An hour or two later, I got a return message.

I still don't have all the details, but the phrases "10 feet in the air," "landed on my head," and "half the car is gone" were all in her message. It seems that on her third lap, another driver tried a dive-bomb pass (a very ill-advised move, according to witnesses) and tangled with her, sending her flipping through the air. She landed upside-down.

Lynn was very lucky to have escaped injury, but she got her bell rung, she's out of the event, and her car is destroyed. I'm sick that her first trip to the Big Show ended like this. The event stewards are going to take disciplinary action against the other driver because multiple witnesses agree that he was entirely to blame for the incident.

I hope someone else had a good day today.

No comments: